The Keneseth Eliyahoo Synagogue receives Award of Merit at the 20th anniversary of the UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation in Penang, Malaysia

0
215

Mumbai / Chennai, 16 October, 2019: The Keneseth Eliyahoo Synagogue was presented with Award of Merit at the 20th anniversary of the UNESCO Asia-Pacific AwardsforCultural Heritage Conservationin Penang, Malaysia.It was one of the sixteen projects across 5 continents to have been awarded on the night and was identified for Merit – amongst a review of 57 entries from 14 countries.

The synagogue, the second oldest Sephardic synagogue in the city of Mumbai, re-opened its doors to worshipers and the public in early February 2019 post a 20 month restoration effort. This historic monument designed by Bombay architects Gostling and Morris in 1884 had over the years, started fading, due to lack of funds for conservation.

In 2017, JSW Group, along with its teams of expert professionals and architects took the initiative to restore the synagogue.This included structural and roof repairs as well as the restoration of the synagogue’s stunning nineteenth-century stained glass windows. Today, this important place of worship for the Jewish community has been returned to its original glory and for the first time, welcomes even the non-Jews to take part in the prayers.

Mrs. Sangita Jindal, Chairperson, JSWFoundation said, “Preservation and promotion of Art & culture has always been an integral part of JSW Foundation’s work. The UNSESCOAward of Merit for Keneseth Eliyahoo Synagogue is a great honor and we take pride in having contributed towards its restoration. The blue synagogue is a hidden gem of our city. I would like to thank the teams of expert professionals and architects who took the initiative to restore the synagogue along with the JSW Foundation. They have done a commendable job.”

The Our Lady of Glory Church in Mumbai was also presented with an Award of Merit, while the Flora Fountain, also in Mumbai received an honorable mention.

This award by the UNESCO is recognition of the historic value of this monument along with an appreciation of the efforts of the JSW Group in restoring this piece of history.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here