Rtn Gary Huang, Current Rotary Foundation Trustee Chair who is on his first visit to Chennai, R.I Dist 3232 after assuming charge as TRF Trustee Chair in his interaction with the media said that, Rotary in India is very active, focused and contributing significantly to the community at large. In fact, India has become the second largest contributor for the last 4 consecutive years, to the Rotary Foundation. In the year 17-18, the contribution from Indian Rotarians stood at 19 million USD.
Rtn Huang stressed that Rotary Foundation as a Charity has been rated very high by Independent agencies and therefore his mission is to encourage Rotarians to contribute even more in the coming years.
· For the 11th consecutive year, The Rotary Foundation has received the highest rating 4 stars from Charity Navigator, an independent evaluator of charities in the U.S.
· The Foundation earned the recognition for demonstrating both strong financial health and commitment to accountability and transparency.
· Low overhead costs leading to 92% spending on the Projects which is one of the highest in the world.
Rtn Huang will launch an All India End Polio Flame Campaign to help to End Polio in the World. Only two countries Afghanistan and Pakistan are having Wild Polio Virus cases, which is 71 until now, in this year.
He added that Rotary is dedicated to End Polio forever, Disaster Management & the 6 Areas of focus which is as follows :
1) Peace Building & Conflict Prevention
2) Disease Prevention & Treatment
3) Water, Sanitation & Hygiene
4) Maternal & Child Health
5) Basic Education & Literacy
6) Community Economic Development
Rtn Huang also said that sustainable and impactful ‘Global Grant’ Projects are designed and executed to:
· protect the environment
· build international relationships,
· improve Humanitarian lives, and
· support our peace efforts and end polio forever. =
In the year 2017-18, The Rotary Foundation had:
· Total Asset US$ 1.127 Billion
· US$ 360 Million raised for ‘ Doing Good in the World’
· US$ 150 Million provided to the Global Polio Eradication Initiative.
· US$ 150 million spent on the various Humanitarian project.
Rtn Chandramohan, Governor R.I. Dist 3232 said that this year being the 100th year of Rotary in India, the RI District comprising of 126 Rotary Clubs, will do projects which directly impact the society. Blood donation, Bone bank, Creating more awareness on eye donation, building better infrastructure in schools, sanitation and building toilets in villages to ensure that Tamil Nadu is ODF, scheme for women employment, like proving Pink Autos for underprivileged men and women, technical training center for handicapped people, restoration of dead lakes, road safety, etc, etc.
Rotary will continue to create long term impact in India particularly in the focus area of Health, Hygiene Sanitation, Basic Education and Literacy Program. In Phase 1, the Wash in Schools (WinS) program will be implemented in 100 needy schools in Chennai and will be extended to 400 other schools in a phased manner to benefit more than 1.5 lakh children.
The most important projects include the 30 Global Projects which are long term impacting humanitarian projects in 6 focus areas- Congenital Heart Surgeries, Congenital Spine and Brain Surgeries, Dialysis Centres, Cancer Care Surgical Equipment in ICU’s and Operation Theatre equipments for VHS and PHC’s.
2 for 2 Polio crowd funding through Kanyakumari to Kashmir ( K2K ) Rotary India Centennial End Polio Flame Campaign will be launched to galvanise action across India to help to create a Polio Free World.