On behalf of DMK, Party Legal Wing Secretary Thiru R.Girirajan alongwith Headquarters Advocates R.Neelakandan submitted a Representation today (21.12.2019) to Tamil Nadu State Election Commissioner, regarding illegal distribution of cash for vote by ADMK and PMK Candidates in Edappadi, Salem District.
1. It is reported by our DMK Party’s Salem-West District Secretary to our Head Quarters that one A.R.Mani, a candidate belonging to AIADMK along with one Palaniappan, Husband of PMK candidate viz. Bhanumathi contesting to the post of Ward member of Konganapurm Panchayat Union Council were distributing money to voters in Kurumbapatty area in Edappady, Salem District. They are involved in corrupt practices and thereby they committed electoral offences.
2. Photographs showing distribution of cash for vote by the above said candidates belonging to ruling AIADMK party alliance are herewith attached, for perusal and necessary action in accordance with Law.
3. Bribing of voters is strictly prohibited by Law and Model code of conduct issued by the Tamil Nadu State Election Commission. Clause 11 of Model Code of Conduct reads as follows:
“11. All parties and candidates shall avoid scrupulously all activities which are “corrupt practices” and offences under any law or under the relevant Acts applicable to each of the local bodies in particular.
Some of such corrupt practices are:
(i) to bribe or offer reward in any form to electors; …“
4. Mr.S.R.Sivalingam, District Secretary, Salem–West District DMK has also sent the above photographs with a brief complaint to the Election Observer of Salem District through whatsapp and also to the District Collector. But, no action is taken so far. As soon as the corrupt practice is brought to the notice of the Election Observer, that too with the proof for such electoral offence, it is the duty of the official to register a Criminal Case against the candidates, who involved in the corrupt practice and they shall be dealt with in accordance with Law. Strict action shall also be taken to prevent distribution of money to the voters. Otherwise, it would affect free and fair election. Since the candidates belong to Ruling AIADMK party and it alliance party PMK, no action is taken so far, which shows favoritism to Party in power, which ultimately affects the democracy.
5. Hence, our DMK party hereby requests your authority to take immediate necessary legal action against the above said candidates viz. A.R.Mani and Mrs. Bhanumathi Palaniappan and their team who involved in the offence of corrupt practice by bribing the voters through distribution of money and also to prevent such illegal distribution of cash for vote.